Presented by: Kent Richardson, Richardson Oliver Law Group
Moderated by: Joff Wild, Editor in Chief, IAM
Like many organisations today, you know there is considerable monetary value in your intellectual assets, and you may know that patent sales are the best way to realise that value for at least part of your portfolio. Perhaps you are unsure of how to best prepare them for sale. Or maybe you are wary of undertaking this considerable endeavour, and with good reason – only 30% of patents on the market ever sell. With many hundreds of patent packages available at any given time, how can you ensure that your offering stands out as attractive and viable to serious buyers?
On September 15, IAM Market presented its first ever informative one-hour webinar, Readying a Patent Portfolio for Sale: What You Need to Know to Be Successful, where IP strategist Kent Richardson discussed at length the process of preparing patent portfolios for sale and avoiding common pitfalls that could derail your effort.
What was discussed:
- The three different monetisation options, and the pros and cons of each
- What a value driver patent is, and why having value drivers improves your chance of selling at the best price
- How claim charts (also called ‘evidence of use’) drive pricing
- The seller's due diligence list – make sure you cover all the bases before you sell
- The importance of marketing collateral in making the sale, and what pieces you should provide
- And much more...
Watch the video above and come away with valuable tips and insights for readying your own patent portfolio for sale.